Wednesday, January 30, 2008

try again

so OBVIOUSLY the daily thing isn't happening. Oh well. I had good intentions. I'm making a black bean chili for dinner tonight. I like this stuff, but my mom didn't. So if you try it and don't like it I'm sorry. I'm going to try it with avocados on it tonight and see how it goes :) Just realized it's another chili recipe. Can you tell it's cold here???

Fantastic Black Bean Chili
INGREDIENTS
· 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
· 1 onion, diced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
· 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
· 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
· 1 tablespoon chili powder
· 2 teaspoons dried oregano
· 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
· 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat; cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Add turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, basil and vinegar. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more, until flavors are well blended.

Also, I tried Ashlee's Dijon Basil Chicken and cooked it on the grill pan instead of the broiler, and it was AWESOME-and I'm not usually a huge basil or dijon fan, so that's saying a lot. I halved it and I made it with 5 chicken tenders (see previous post for reasons why). Here it is (hope you don't mind me sharing!):

Dijon Basil Chicken
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
3 TBS. chopped FRESH basil(if you use dry basil use 1-2 tsp.)i recommend fresh.
1 TBS. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Mix all ingredients together (set aside some sauce before adding chicken, to spoon over chicken when serving!) Add chicken breasts, marinade for at least 1/2 hour or for several hours. In case you didn't know, you can throw the sauce and chicken in a freezer bag to marinade it. Broil 5 minutes on each side. It is very tasty! Enjoy

We're ALMOST finished with our kitchen. Baseboards are up, window moulding is up, curtain is up (and the adjoining bathroom is finished!). We just need to add the crown mouldings and sand and paint the bottoms of the door mouldings that we had to saw out for the floor. Oh ya, and we have to find some sort of wood valance for over the sink...they don't sell 'em at home depot, which makes me somewhat angry. So the moulding can't go up until we find one. But there is an end in sight! I'll post pics when it's done.

I haven't had much time for crafts lately. I made a ton of bows for my sister and a couple for Emma (Bree doesn't get any...that's what happens when you're bald) and with kitchen stuff I just haven't had time. So for your "craft" viewing pleasure, here's a link to one of my new favorite sites for ideas (since all I do is copy other people). There are 2 crafts--the mailboxes and the nugget tins--that are on my agenda. Oh ya, and I'm gonna try those beaded pens she makes. I already do the notebooks that are in the kits that the pens go with. So I've gotta do those pens too.
http://emilygiovanni.com/

6 comments:

AnnCP said...

the dijon basil chicken looks interesting. If it is a keeper do I put your name on it or your friends?

Dave and Loralee said...

my friend's-Ashlee Jenks. Unless, Ashlee, you got it from someone else? But I guess that's how all recipes are. If we kept looking for where it came from, we'd never be able to just put a name next to it :)

Anonymous said...

THanks for the awesome bows!!! The chili looks yummy and when I get ambitious I'll try the chicken. Love you- Is your car okay?

Anonymous said...

Why don't you post your weekly dinner menu??? And maybe recipes too?

Mindy said...

I have a request. I would like the recipe for the salsa you made at a card party or something a while back. It had beans, corn, avocados, tomatoes, etc., in it. I think you were doing South Beach at the time or something. It was so good!

Loralee Choate said...

I just had to give a shout out to another blogging "Loralee"!

Hee!